Welcome to Keep Film ALIVE!!!!

My name is Tanja Lippert. I am a 100% film shooter dedicated to the art of film photography. I love film! I love it so much, it almost hurts. I believe film is the #1 reason that my business as a photographer has thrived. I wanted to create this blog as a resource to photographers all over the world who love film like me. I wanted to create a place where photographers who love film and would like to see it STAY ALIVE forever could come and gain useful information relating to film and all the lovely things it offers. I also wanted to create an online resource that would INSPIRE and encourage photographers who have forgotten about film or only use it sparingly might be inspired to run out and buy a few rolls, who knows maybe one day put down there shiny new digital cameras, dust off their Rollei and get back to work!!! :0)











May 15, 2009

Richard Israel- Returned to Film, and will not look back!

Richard Israel had made the switch from film to digital along with the masses. Something was missing!! One day, he came across some old fiber prints from his days of shooting film and he found that he really connected to these images and realized what was missing now- FILM!!!!

I think you will really enjoy Richard's Interview below on why he made the switch back to film and how it has affected his photography and his business. I find his film images to be soooooo breathtaking. Thank you, Richard for sharing all this with us!!

all images copyright by Richard Israel



Q: Richard, Where are you from and where is your studio based, what do you shoot?

A. I’m from London, England and have been living in Charlotte, NC for 20 years, working mainly in the southeast and lots in Charleston, SC.
I have a studio in my home.
I shoot wedding, portraits and some commercial work. I’ve also stared an Etsy.com store for my art photography. I shot fashion and beauty for a good part of my career.
I love movement, mood and texture.

Q. What is your main equipment set up? What are your favorite films?

A. I shoot Nikon F100’s with the 85 1.4 and 35 2.0 lenses, for medium format I use a Mamiya 645 AFD, with 80mm 1.9, and 150mm lens and a Rolleiflex.

I love to experiment with lots of different films but my mainstays are, Fujicolor 400H, Fujicolor 800Z. For black and white, Kodak 400CNBW, Tri-X, and Ilford Delta 3200.


Q. Tell us what made you decide to switch back to film from digital; what motivated you to make the switch back?

A. I was browsing through some of my old darkroom fiber based prints and saw the light. The depth, tonality, texture and the pure organic rawness of film is what initially turned me on in my photography and in my opinion can never be replicated by digital imaging ever. I have always been totally passionate about my work, but now it’s off the chart.




Q. How did making the choice to switch back to film change your workflow? How did it change your lifestyle?

A. My workflow has been reduced to approximately 1 ½ hours for weddings and 30 minutes for portraits, I’ve got my life back, I spend more time with my family and spend time growing my business instead of spending 80% of my life in front of the computer.


Q. What advice would you give to digital photographers who are thinking of trying or switching to film?

A. Take it slow, test shoot, get comfortable with shooting without chimping, take time to discover the different characteristics of the many different films available. At each wedding shoot a couple of rolls and build up to shooting more as your comfort level grows. Check out keh.com for amazing deals on Canon and Nikon 35mm cameras as well as killer medium format gear.

Q. What have the advantages been that have resulted from your switch back?

A. A renewed passion for my work, I feel like I’ve come out of the (digital) wilderness. I’m now an anomaly in my market and separated from the pack, I am a niche.

Q. What have the disadvantages been for you?

A. The only challenge has been the extra expense of film and processing. As of now I’ve raised my prices to cover the extra cost involved so next year all will be good!
I would suggest using the best lab possible, I’ve used local labs and would highly recommend a true pro lab such as Richard Labs in LA.
unless you want to trade all the saved post processing time for hours of dust spotting in Photoshop. Yikes!!!



Q. Where can we see more of your beautiful work and find out more about you?

A. Website
Blog
I love Film blog





all images copyright by Richard Israel

9 comments:

  1. Great interview. It's nice to know there are more and more seeing the light theses days. Luckily we live in LA, where there are still a good amount of pro film labs marching on. Sadly though I've seen many that are on their way out, especially in the less cultured areas (much of the inland empire). If this revolution... resurgence rather, takes any longer we might see the film lab going the way of he buffalo. Thank God people are still seeing the light. He who has an eye let him see! Keep film alive!
    -B. Wright

    ReplyDelete
  2. Richard is and always will be a wealth of inspiration! Thank you so much for posting his thoughts on film. He continues to produce remarkable images with film and connect us all in our love for analog processes. More than that he is a beautiful person and that is quite possibly the part I love the most!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "he who had an eye let him see"...love, love, love it Brian, thank you for your comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting blog and a nice interview!

    Keep up the good work man!

    http://celebrity-picturez.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous work, Richard! I loved hearing about your transition back to film...gaining back your life and having a love affair with the look of it at the same time. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow i only just discovered Richards and Your blogs and am blown away.. Great work guys, I am so glad to see others using and loving film as I do.

    I am in Australia, there are a lot less film followers here it seems, Although I am trying to push the interest through the information, reviews and articles on my website.

    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good stuff...nice to see others are still interested in film. Even better to see those that are switching back. Personally I shot digital for about 3 days total. I like the convenience, but not the look. Film has a feel that digital simply cant touch. At least not yet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely work, Richard. It's interesting to see your transition back to straight film. I've used both traditional and digital for weddings and events. I too am starting to feel the pull back towards film. Thanks for the inspiration and all the best!

    ReplyDelete